Tired of spending $4 for an Easy Bake Cake Mix? We found this recipe and made several Ziploc snack bag sized mixes to store in the freezer for those rainy day moments. It worked great and saved $ as well as my sanity. An extra bonus for us was that it was dairy free for my littlest princess :)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened lemonade or any flavor drink mix (we used cocoa powder)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and lemonade drink mix or cocoa powder. Stir to blend. Cut in shortening with a fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles corn meal.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup mixture into 10 small containers or sealable plastic bags. Label and store in cool, dry place. Use within 12 weeks.
- Preheat Easy Bake oven. Grease and flour a 4 inch miniature cake pan.
- To make a cake: Empty the contents of one bag cake mix into a small bowl. Using a fork, mix with 4 teaspoons water until smooth.
- Bake until done, cool, decorate and enjoy!