Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Split Pea Soup

We had a ham recently and I kept the bone in the freezer for split pea soup. Today was rainy and cold so it seemed like the perfect day to make it. I doubled my recipe and froze half for another rainy day. Here's how I made it:

Boil hambone in a medium sized soup pot covered with water (about 8 cups) for 2-3 hours. Sauté in a larger soup pot 1 large chopped onion and 2 cups chopped carrots in olive oil until tender.

Remove soup bone from the smaller pot and put a strainer over the large pot with the onion and carrots. Pour the liquid through the strainer and into the pot. I went through the bone and pieces in strainer adding the good meat to the pot. I also added 4 pints of homemade beef stock to the soup since I doubled my recipe and needed more liquid for the dried peas.

Bring to a boil and add 3 packages of dried split peas (or 1-2 packages if you aren't doubling). Cook on low for 2 hours or until the peas are mushy and falling apart. Remove from heat and add 1 bag frozen peas (or 2 if doubling).

Blend in small batches in food processor or blender. (Would love it if all my readers would get together and buy me a Vita-mix someday ;). Here is where I poured half of mine into freezer containers and put them straight into the freezer. Reheat your soup in pot, serve warm with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.

It was great! This is the first time I ever used the hambone for this soup. I must say I like it just as well without the bone broth. It seemed a bit salty to me, but my husband is going to love it!









No comments:

Post a Comment