Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Garden Fresh Tomato Basil Soup


We reached the end of our tomato season and I had 2 large bowls left in the fridge.  I decided to try homemade tomato soup I just had to share the results.   It was delicious and so easy.  I will never throw out a bowl of tomatoes ever again! Here's what I did......

Ingredients:

5-6 cups cubed tomatoes
1 large onion, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
Pinch of sugar and salt
Fresh basil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)

Serve with 1 Tbsp. Greek yogurt

Sauté onion, carrots and tomatoes in olive oil in large soup pot.  (I did not peel the tomatoes, the blender puréed them just fine).  Add garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring constantly on med heat.  Add broth, sugar and salt.  Simmer for 30 minutes, turn off heat.  Add balsamic vinegar.  Let cool until you ready to put small batches through a blender or food processor.  Reheat.  Serve with fresh basil and a dollop of Greek yogurt.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment