Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Breakfast Burritos: HOT Breakfast is back for less than $.20 per meal!

Being a mom and wife with seven children people ask me often, "How can you afford to feed them all?"  Have you ever heard time is money?  Never is that statement more true than in the kitchen.  If you want to instantly save money on your grocery bill.....start cooking from scratch.  Not only is it healthier for your family to eliminate processed foods from your pantry, it is also kinder to your wallet.

I can't live in the kitchen so I have found that if I cook in bulk and freeze or refrigerate leftovers I don't have to cook as often.  Everyone in our family loves these burritos, I customize them in three different types and even set aside some to go in my husband's lunchbox for a warm breakfast as he sits at his desk after a morning commute.  I only have to prepare them once every week to week and a half, so guess what?  On those other 6 days I don't have to make breakfast.....ahhhhhhh, sit back and enjoy your coffee!
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE BURRITOS:
1 lb. breakfast sausage
1 dozen eggs
1 package med. size tortillas (24 ct.)
sliced sweet peppers, grated cheese, ect.

(This makes 24 servings and costs approximately $4.25 for the ingredients = $.17 per burrito)
Which coincidentally is 24 burritos for the price of ONE run through for breakfast at McDonalds! 

 
STEP #1:  Brown your sausage (or bacon or skip this if you don't eat meat :)

STEP #2: Crack your eggs into a large bowl.  Scramble them in a frying pan.

STEP #3:  slice your veggies and get out your cheese or other garnishes you prefer creating an assembly line of ingredients.

STEP #4:  Microwave 2-3 tortillas at a time for 30 sec. to making them softer and more elastic for rolling without cracking or breaking.

STEP #5:  scoop a spoonful of meat, then eggs into the center of your tortilla, garnish, then roll them. 

STEP #6:  I place 2 per ziplock bag for my husband's breakfast/lunchbox.  For the kids I use one gallon size ziplock bag for storage in the fridge. 

STEP #7:  repeat the process until you run out of ingredients.  Store burritos in the fridge or freezer. 

STEP #8: Just microwave for 30 sec. to reheat when ever you need a quick hot meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment