Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Well, I did it! I finally found a recipe for homemade hamburger/hot dog buns that are easy, cheap and we LOVE!!!!  It is pretty much no fail, takes less than an hour from start to finish and takes the fear out of bread baking after your first try!  I won't say I will NEVER buy buns again, but I will say that I will NEVER hesitate to serve these at our dinner table.  ENJOY!!!


Ingredients for buns:
2 cups warmed milk
1 Tbsp Yeast
1/4 cup butter or shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp. salt
6 cups flour

STEP #1:  Mix yeast in warm milk, melted butter, warm water and sugar in large bowl. 
(I just use my Kitchen Aide)

STEP #2: Let sit for 5 minutes.  It should start to look foamy.

STEP #3: Mix in salt and flour one cup at a time until well blended.  Be careful not to over mix the batter.  It should be slightly sticky.  I scrape off the mixer beater and sprinkle flour over the top of the batter to make it easier to pull off pieces.

STEP #4: Divide into half, then start pulling off pieces and rolling into balls. 
This batter will make 22-24 buns. 

STEP #5: Place each ball onto a greased cookie sheet or seasoned baking stone.  
You might want to press them down gently to get a hamburger bun shape. 
Let rise in a warm place in your kitchen for 25 minutes.

STEP #6:  Bake at a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from oven.  Let cool, then slice them down the middle.  That is it!

***This is such a simple and wonderful roll recipe.  My kids kept eating the leftovers as turkey sandwiches.  My oldest son keeps asking me to make sausage gravy for him to pour over the top.  I have made them bigger and longer for Italian Beef Rolls.....mmmmmmm!!!!  The possibilities are endless~!

No comments:

Post a Comment