Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Homemade Focaccia Bread

If you like Italian food you will love this recipe for Focaccia Bread to accompany it.  I start the bread while I am simmering sauce and by the time dinner is ready so is the bread.  I have been making it for about 2 years now and have always had it come out great.    I use my Kitchen Aide to do the mixing and I knead the dough right into the bowl saving me a big clean up later.  I always make 2 loaves at a time because it is such a hit.  My family gets very excited when they see me pull out the olive oil!


INGREDIENTS:
1 Envelope Yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
3 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. Olive oil

STEP #1 : Dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar, about 5 minutes.

STEP #2: mix in salt and slowly add flour, then oil.

Step #3: Knead dough for 5-8 minutes, folding in halves.  If you are careful not to 'break' the dough, but fold it over and over it will rise higher and lighter. 

STEP #4: Let dough rest for about 20 minutes.

STEP #5: remove the ball of dough and press into a rectangle on a cookie sheet or baking stone.  Let rise for 20 more minutes.

STEP #6: Press your finger to indent the dough in rows up and down the loaf.  Drizzle olive oil, garlic, onion salt, etc.  across the bread.

STEP #7: Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Slice the loaf in half down the middle and then into 1-2 inch wide sticks. 

* They are great dipped in olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar~!

No comments:

Post a Comment