Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Chicken Noodle, Cream of Chicken and Chicken Chili...3 soups...1 chicken!


This just might be my favorite blog yet!  I love to multi task, but I have found lately with our crazy schedules it helps to multi cook, too.  I started making 2 soups a few months ago, today I decided to try 3 and it worked brilliantly.  Now I shouldn't have to cook all week!  Here is what I did: 

 Begin by baking a whole chicken during breakfast.  (I baked mine for 2 hours on 350 degrees) 
Remove from oven and set out to cool. 

After I placed the chicken in the oven I set the vegetable steamer to steam my rice, it takes 50 minutes for 2 cups.  You can prepare your rice however you usually do it.

I enlisted a teenager to cut up my veggies and we organized them with their soup ingredients.

We sauteed the first two soups veggies side by side and added the rest of the ingredients as we cooked them, focusing on one soup then the other step by step.

I poured all of the Chicken Chili's ingredients into a large storage bowl with lid and placed it into the fridge.  This one will be ready to go when we are ready for a new soup option.  All I will have to do is dump it into a pot and cook for 1 hour.





#1 CREAM OF CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP
1 cup sliced/chopped onion
1 cup of sliced/chopped carrot
1/4 baked chicken (mostly white meat due to the higher fat content of this soup)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
3 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
2 cups whole milk
2 cups steamed rice


Saute onions, carrots and chicken in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.  Add broth and water and bring to a boil.  In a separate small pan melt butter.  Add flour and stir for 3 minutes.  Slowly add milk and stir until thickened.  Add slowly to soup pot and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add rice and simmer additional 5 minutes.  Turn off heat and allow to thicken as it cools slightly.  It is ready to enjoy!



#2 CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

1/2 baked chicken- shredded
1 cup onion chopped
1 cup carrot chopped
1 cup celery chopped
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 bag noodles

Saute the veggies and chicken in a little oil and garlic salt.  Add broth and water, bring to a boil.  Continue to cook for 30 minutes.  I add the noodles right into the pot and cook an additional 15 minutes.  Turn off heat and serve!


#3 CHICKEN CHILI

1/4 baked chicken
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can mild chili beans
1 can black beans
1 can corn

I put all the ingredients into a storage container.  When we are ready for this soup in a few days I will pour into a pot and cook for 1 hour.  Remove from heat and enjoy!!!


So, there it is, 3 soups from one chicken.  Everyone's taste buds have been appeased and now I shouldn't have to cook dinner all week!



No comments:

Post a Comment