Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

Homemade yogurt: update and tips

We have made about 7-8 batches of yogurt now and had only one to throw out. I was trying the crock pot method and accidentally put it on high instead of warm and left the house for several hours. By the time I returned it was burnt, ewe!!!! But, besides that, it has turned out perfectly every time and we LOVE it!

Here is the original recipe:
http://www.naturallyhomemade.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt.html?m=1

I have tried keeping it warm several ways, like in the microwave (off) with just the light on, in the crockpot on low for 10 minutes and then off for an hour, in mason jars in the oven (off). My favorite and easiest way has been to heat the milk to 190-200 degrees, cool it to 115, pour it all into the crockpot dish, mix in the starter, and set it in the oven with my dehydrator motor. It turns itself off and on and keeps the oven the perfect temp. I make the yogurt at bedtime, stick it in with the dehydrator motor and wake up to perfect yogurt. Can't get any easier than that!




No comments:

Post a Comment