Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013

How to save / clean your mattress!

I am doing a bit of spring cleaning and thought it was time to replace one of the kid's mattresses. Usually we throw away and buy new mattresses for the kids, because I have never been able to find a way to clean them and remove odors effectively. Believe me I have tried EVERYTHING! After a little motivation from a friend, I looked online for an all natural air freshener. (And quite frankly Febreeze just doesn't cut it!). I found a great recipe to try and then I put my thinking cap on as to what could sanitize as well as freshen. What I came up with was amazing! My child's mattress looks AND smells brand new! I didn't take before pictures, because I honestly did not want to show the gross stains on the Internet.....but with the results we got, now I wished I had!!!!

Air freshener and sanitizer:

2 small oranges, sliced
1/2 Tbsp whole cloves
2 cups water
1 cup hydrogen peroxide

Boil the oranges and cloves in the water. Strain off 1 cup and let cool. Put the cooled liquid and hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. The liquid looks like a weak cup of tea, but it did not leave a tan color stain on my couch or mattresses. But, be aware if you have a white couch, it could leave a stain. So you may want to test it somewhere no one would see!

Spray onto fabrics or mattress you want to freshen. I put a space heater in the room to dry it. Then I the sprayed it a second time (both sides). After about 4 hours when I checked it again it was sparkling clean! I immediately made more spray and went and sprayed every mattress in the house! Yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment