Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sopapillas

This recipe was kind of an accident, one the kids hope we have again! I doubled the homemade tortilla recipe I was taking for a spin and since my husband and I are gluten free at the moment, I decided to make the second half as a dessert for the kids. They of course were thrilled. I know you can add honey, fruit, chocolate syrup or powdered sugar, but I chose to make ours fried in butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and organic sugar. The result was simple and satisfying. I did sauté a pear in butter and cinnamon for the youngest 3 kiddos and they loved it rolled up in theirs'.

Tortilla dough:

2 cups flour
3/4 cup warm water
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Butter
Sugar
Cinnamon
Honey

Mix the flour, water, oil and salt in a bowl. Dump out onto a floured surface and knead dough a few times. Divide into 8 equal pieces and let rest 10 minutes. Roll as thin as possible and fry one at a time in oil of your choice or butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar or drizzle with honey on each side. Serve warm.


*Traditionally a sopapilla is fried in an inch of oil and puffs up really big, this is a healthier version using a small dab of oil or butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment